Upcoming – Embroidered Mask online workshop
Sign up for our first online workshop! Full details and tickets on Eventbrite
About this Event
Embellish masks with hand embroidery! Learn how to use basic stitches to decorate masks, clothes, and accessories with flowers and text!
The techniques from this workshop can be used to decorate masks, clothes, or fabric accessories with simple embroidery stitches.
- Introduction (5 minutes) – examples and ideas for using embroidery to decorate clothes and accessories
- Demonstration (25 minutes) – Shannon will show you how to transfer a design onto fabric (light fabrics and dark fabrics) and how to use simple stitches to embroider flowers and words onto a mask
- Stitch along (1 hour) – After the demonstration, stay and stitch a while! Troubleshoot live and socialize with local crafters
You will need: Anyone can book onto the workshop – with or without these materials. If you would like to take part in the stitch along, please gather the following items:
- Mask or fabric item you would like to decorate with embroidery
- Pencil or fabric pen to mark fabrics. If you are marking a dark fabric, see if you have a pale coloured pencil crayon or gel pen
- Thread – different colours if you have them. Any thread will work. The most common type of thread used for embroidery is six-stranded cotton floss
Who is it for?
Everyone is welcome. Maybe you love embroidery and are looking for new ways to use it – or maybe you’ve never tried embroidery and want to know what it’s all about. This workshop will have stitching tips and tricks for all levels.
This free zoom workshop is offered by Minden Hills Cultural Centre. It will be led by Shannon Quigley, Curatorial programming assistant and avid stitcher. Check out Shannon’s needlework blog or instagram to see examples of her work.
Leave a Reply