An online baking competition and virtual baking activities from Minden Hills Museum & Heritage Village
We love cooking up treats on the woodstove in the Heritage Village and using old recipes to step back in time. This year our historic baking demos are going digital! With a new video each week and a chance to win prizes by taking part in a weekly photo contest, The Great Historic Bake Off has lots of at-home fun in store!
Celebrating Canada Day with Strawberry Ice Cream – from Mrs Marshall’s ‘The Book of Ices’ (1885)
Week 1: Pie – Potato Pie recipe from ‘The Dominion Home Cook Book’ (1868)
Week 2: Biscuits – Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Recipe from Magic Baking Powder promotional cookbook (1934)
Week 3: Bread – Potato Bread recipe from ‘The Home Cook Book’ (1894 edition)
Week 4: Cake – Birthday Cake recipe from ‘The Home Cook Book’ (1894 edition)
Photo Contest Winners
Pie Week Winner: Erin
Cookie Week Winner: Katie
Bread Week Winner: Fay
Cake Week Winner: Dena
Photo Contest Rules
We’d like to see your home bakes!
- Winners will be selected in a random draw, announced live on our facebook page
- Submit a photo of your homebaked pies, cookies, bread and cakes for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Molly’s Bistro Bakery!
- You can submit photos of things you baked at any time – even years ago. Let’s see your showstoppers!
- Submit your photo before the deadline for each category:
- Week 1: Pie – Deadline for pie photos Friday July 10, winner announced Sat July 11
- Week 2: Cookies – Deadline for cookie photos Friday July 17, winner announced Sat July 18
- Week 3: Bread – Deadline for bread photos Friday July 25, winner announced Sat July 26
- Week 4: Cake – Deadline for cake photos Friday July 31, winner announced Sat August 1
- Winners will go to Molly’s Bistro Bakery at 170 Bobcaygeon Rd., Minden to collect their prize
HOW TO SUBMIT A PHOTO
- Post a photo and tag us on facebook
- Send us a private message on instagram
- Email Shannon at email@example.com
- Or submit a photo using the form below. Your email will only be used to contact you if you win
Contribute to our Community Cookbook
Add your favourite recipes to the museum’s online community cookbook and check out historic recipes from the museum’s collection of cookbooks!