An online baking competition and virtual baking activities from Minden Hills Museum & Heritage Village
Learn about the history of baking with a series of historic cooking videos filmed in Bowron House’s kitchen at Minden Hills Museum & Heritage Village.
Send in photos of your showstopping home bakes for a chance to win prizes each week!
3. Add your favourite recipes to our online Community Cookbook!
Share your recipes, discover recipes from historic cookbooks in the museum collection and check out recipes contributed by local businesses!
Canada DaY Launch!
We’re making ice cream the old fashioned way! See how Victorians molded ice cream to create elaborate sculpted desserts and learn how people made ice cream before freezers were invented!
Week 1: Pie
In this week’s video we’ll be baking potato pie. Never heard of it? Neither had we! Check out the recipe below and tune in to see how it turns out!
Week 2: COOKIES
In this week’s tutorial from Bowron House’s kitchen we’ll bake strawberry shortbread cookies. Who could resist?
Week 3: BRead
Have you been baking bread this past few months? Try a recipe for potato bread from 1894!
Week 4: Cake
Video will be posted Monday July 27
The desert to crown all others. In this week we’ll be baking a showstopping Victorian birthday cake with a recipe from 1894!
We’d like to see your home bakes!
- Submit a photo of your homebaked pies, cookies, bread and cakes for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Molly’s Bistro Bakery!
- You can submit photos of things you baked at any time – even years ago. Let’s see your showstoppers!
- Submit your photo before the deadline for each category:
- Week 1: Pie – Deadline for pie photos Friday July 10, winner announced Sat July 11
- Week 2: Cookies – Deadline for cookie photos Friday July 17, winner announced Sat July 18
- Week 3: Bread – Deadline for bread photos Friday July 25, winner announced Sat July 26
- Week 4: Cake – Deadline for cake photos Friday July 31, winner announced Sat August 1
- Winners will be selected in a random draw, announced on our facebook page, and contacted by the museum
- Winners will go to Molly’s Bistro Bakery at 170 Bobcaygeon Rd., Minden to collect their prize
How to submit a photo
- Post a photo and tag us on facebook
- Send us a private message on instagram
- Email Shannon at email@example.com
- Or submit a photo using the form below. Your email will only be used to contact you if you win
We’d like to see your best bakes!
Contribute to our Community Cookbook
Add your favourite recipes to the museum’s online community cookbook and check out historic recipes from the museum’s collection of cookbooks!
Image credits Freepik: Cake
Minden Hills Cultural Centre
176 Bobcaygeon Road
Minden Hills, Ontario
Canada, K0M 2K0
Hours & Admission
Admission is by donation
Temporarily closed due to Covid
Agnes Jamieson Gallery is open year round. Tuesday – Saturday, 10am – 4pm
The Museum & Heritage Village is open seasonally from May 16 – October 10, 2020. Tuesday – Saturday, 10am – 4pm
Nature’s Place is open seasonally from May 16 – October 10, 2020. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 10am – 4pm
Car: Free parking & Accessible parking
Bike: Bike racks available
On foot: 10 minute walk from downtown Minden along riverwalk and boardwalk
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Use the search form to search the site.